Size optimization of a HTML document

Andy Pieters mailings at vlaamse-kern.com
Tue Nov 29 17:49:57 UTC 2005

On Tuesday 29 November 2005 17:53, Welty, Richard wrote:
> also, what are you validating to? i'd suggest that if you're doing this
> sort of cleanup, you should look at html 4.01 or xhtml 1.0 as your
> target. writing strict xhtml 1.0 that works in older browsers takes a
> little care, but it's not outrageously difficult.

I am a php developer and use exclusively Quanta.  However I rely for
validation on http://validator.w3.org/

While it is true that often you get a cascading effect in regards to errors, I
find that the w3c validator provides enough explanation to fix them.

I do not know the reason why you validate your documents but know this:

When a document is 100% valid, and it breaks in a browser, you can point and
say "it's the fault of the browser".  As long as your document isn't 100%
valid, the browser will try to interpret your code as best it can and make
assumptions on how to render it.

Also know that each html document starts with a document type declaration.  In
Quanta, click the DTD menu, choose "Change the DTD", select your DTD and
check the box marked "Convert the document to the selected DTD" before
pressing OK (not that "convert" only means change the doctype, not convert
the whole document)

Lastly, although unrelated, a final tip.  Each browser has default values for
font sizes, fonttypes, background colors etc, when using stylesheets, and
doing something like

body {font: 10pt; color: white; }

Then each browser will use its default font and background color.  What if the
browser the user is using defaults to white background?

So rule of thumb, always define all font sizes, colors, heights, etc you are
using.  It will make sure that your document looks good on all compliant
browsers.

With kind regards

Andy

--