Command ($ or #) line; smart completion?

Nat Gross nat101l at gmail.com
Tue Nov 29 18:12:52 UTC 2005

On 11/29/05, Berna Massingill <bmassing at cs.trinity.edu> wrote:
> On Mon, Nov 28, 2005 at 04:18:29PM -0500, Nat Gross wrote:
>
> >>  On 11/28/05, Peter Gordon <admin at ramshacklestudios.com> wrote:
> >>  > Nat Gross:
> >>  > > 1. Typing a partial command that exists in history, hit <F8>, and the
> >>  > > command either gets completed (if unique string), or a little menu is
> >>  > > presented.
> >>  > I've read that you can achieve something similar to this by using the
> >>  > PgUp/PgDn keys with GNU Bash, but I've not tried it all.
> >>  I see now that the Pg keys do something, but cant figure what its doing.
>
> Neither can I.  But the up and down arrow keys will move you up and
> down in the command history, which may be what you wanted anyway.
>
> I notice that others have also told you about some of the other neat
> tricks -- tab completion of just about everything, and control-R to
> search the history.
One neat thing re ctrl-r is that it will search history on any
*sub*string, not only the beginning of a string. So, if I have in
history:
ls -l /anydir/anydir/anyfile
ls -l somethingelse
and I do "ctrl-r anyfile", it will retrieve the line, which I can of
course edit and use with other commands.
This behaviour is not the classical history-recall buffer, but is great!

-nat