Size optimization of a HTML document

Tim ignored_mailbox at yahoo.com.au
Tue Nov 29 18:25:55 UTC 2005

On Tue, 2005-11-29 at 18:49 +0100, Andy Pieters wrote:
> Lastly, although unrelated, a final tip.  Each browser has default
> values for font sizes, fonttypes, background colors etc, when using
> stylesheets, and doing something like
>
> body {font: 10pt; color: white; }
>
> Then each browser will use its default font and background color.
> What if the browser the user is using defaults to white background?
>
> So rule of thumb, always define all font sizes, colors, heights, etc
> you are using.  It will make sure that your document looks good on all
> compliant browsers.

And, for humanity's sake, don't use fixed size fonts.  For example, 10
point text is bloody tiny on my screens, and not resizable on many
browsers (even those that can override such stupid settings aren't easy
for many people to make that adjustment).

Leave the body text font size alone.  If you think it looks wrong in
your browser, adjust your browser.

I read messages from the public lists.