Stateless IM

Alex White ethericalzen at gmail.com
Tue Nov 29 20:45:58 UTC 2005

Andy Pieters wrote:
> Hi list
>
> Does anyone know of a program that can directly connect a Linux box to a
> windoze box so that we can chat?
>
> Privacy is one thing, the other is with normal instant messengers, all clients
> are dependant on the server.  If the server is overloaded or unavailable, it
> doesn't work.
>
> By stateless I actually meant that it doesn't rely on a constant connection,
> like if for instance it uses the UDP protocol to send messages and the TCP to
> send acks or something?
>
> Anyone know of such a beast?
>
> With kind regards
>
> Andy

Would gaim with OTR plug-in work for you? That addresses the whole
security point of it, but stateless? Hrmm..could you just run an
extremely restricted irc server? Of course that doesn't satisfy the
whole security viewpoint.

I think Off the Record would work for you but can't help you with
the whole stateless thing. Sorry!

HTH

Alex White