playing audio CDs on FC4

Gerhard Magnus magnus at agora.rdrop.com
Tue Nov 29 22:50:29 UTC 2005

Hello All,

	I'm running FC4 with a KDE desktop on a new Pentium 4 dual booting with
Windows XP.  Under Windows I can play and rip CDs on the DVD drive using
Windows Media Player without anything unusual happening.  (I mention
this only to eliminate the obvious hardware issues.)
	With FC4 the system recognizes my soundcard:
	Vendor: Intel
	Model: Corporation 82801FB/FBM/FR/RW/FRW (ICH6 Family) High Definition
Audio Controller
	Module: snd-hda-intel
and plays the usual test tune.
	The mixer KMix shows all the outputs turned on with 75% volume (except
for PCM which doesn't seem to have a mute function.)
	The CD players xmms and KsCD both appear to be playing from the drive
but I can't get any sound.

Thanks for the help,
Jerry