vulnerability of Linux

Steffen Kluge kluge at fujitsu.com.au
Wed Nov 30 04:31:46 UTC 2005

On Wed, 2005-11-30 at 10:27 +0800, John Summerfied wrote:

> If you're booting number 1 and insert a new number 0, then what happens?
> The old number 1 becomes 2, the old 0 is the new 1.
> Isn't somthing broken here?

Of course, your right, this isn't the way I did it. I think I made that
up on the spot from quickly glancing at grub.conf. I actually couldn't
remember what I did, until I read on...

> Unless you fiddle in /etc/sysconfig/kernel

...that's the place to fix it.

> Steffen wouldn't be alone in overlooking that.

I didn't. I just forgot about it. In summary, it is (or can be made)
safe to update kernels automatically. One can then choose when to boot
them.

Cheers
Steffen.