Getting a text file rid of all superfluous blank lines

Tim ignored_mailbox at yahoo.com.au
Wed Nov 30 11:35:54 UTC 2005

On Wed, 2005-11-30 at 11:00 +0000, Paul Smith wrote:

> Taking a text file, how can one eliminate at once all superfluous
> blank lines?

I used to know of something that did that (something with various
different reformatting options for massaging text files), but I can't
think what it was.  Quickly looking at the man file for the cat program,
you could do something like:

cat --squeeze-blank inputfilename -> outputfilename

I read messages from the public lists.