more problems playing audio CDs on FC4

Gerhard Magnus magnus at agora.rdrop.com
Wed Nov 30 16:05:32 UTC 2005

On Tue, 2005-11-29 at 19:14 -0800, John Wendel wrote:
Hello All,

	I'm still having problems playing audio CDs with a KDE desktop running
on a Pentium 4.  The system recognizes my "soundcard" which is on the
motherboard rather than in a slot.  There's no cable connecting the CD
player to the soundcard and the machine did not come with documentation
as to how -- or where -- to install one.  With help from this list I've
been able to play CDs using the DVD player's digital interface by
setting this parameter in xmms:
	XMMS -> options -> preferences -> input plugins -> cd audio player ->
configure -> digital audio extraction
	Two new problems have emerged:
	(1) How can I make xmms my default player and stop KsCd from popping up
every 5 seconds?  (Actually, the ideal for me would be to have nothing
start automatically when I put in a CD.  It seems this should be simple
but I can't find the menu selection anywhere!)
	(2) I'm getting noise that sounds like static when I play a CD.  The
problem is not the speakers since I get the same interference when I
plug in headphones instead.  Also, this problem does not occur when I
boot Windows XP on the same machine and play the same CD using Windows
Media Player or iTunes.  The static (which sounds like something on a
cheap radio) stops during gaps between songs so I've assumed it has
something to do with the volume settings.  I've fiddled with the mixer
settings using alsamixer and KMix (are these controlling the same
thing?) but haven't been able to get rid of the noise.
	If this some sort of hardware issue I need to narrow it down before I
dare taking the machine back to the shop.  Unless I can find the right
tech in the back room I know they'll just tell me to use Windows!

Thanks for the help!
Jerry