how to install a printer in FC4 CLI only

Marc M linuxr at gmail.com
Sun Oct 2 23:51:42 UTC 2005

Ok, thanks Tim, I thought they had moved it or something. I deleted my
printer info and saved/exited, and recreated it as well as the queue.

Then I got

There was a problem sending CUPS test page
to 'printer1' queue:

lpr: error - unable to print file: server-error-service-unavailable

So I went into services and started and stopped CUPS. Now it prints ok. I am
just wondering if my selinux had the service disabled. I am running only
targeted policy and have it set to warn only, not block everything, so I may
be offbase in my reasoning but I thought I would throw it open to the court.
Has anyone else run into any other problems with this and is is specific to
Fedora Core 4?

Also one more question - I noticed it gave me the ! symbol and warning when
adding a service in the gui ('services')? It didn't let me add what I tried
(lpr) and I am curious about that. I know CUPS more or less replaced line
printing but I would've thought that the daemon would still be around if we
wanted it. Comments welcome.

Thanks
Marc