Thanks re chess help.

Tim ignored_mailbox at yahoo.com.au
Tue Oct 4 17:07:08 UTC 2005

Tim:

>> I'm not a chess player, but my mother asked me to find a decent chess
>> game for her.  I offered her GNU chess, but she claimed it didn't use
>> the rules she knew (it wouldn't let her make certain moves).  Are there
>> different variations on how to place chess?

Patrick:

> Yup, it's called cheating :)

Yes, well that had occurred to me.  That, or simply having grasped the
rules of the game wrong...  But then I don't play, don't know the rules,
so I can't look over her shoulder and spot the difference.

Something like 25+ years ago, way back when dinosaurs ruled the Earth, a
friend of mine tried to teach me chess.  But my idea of enjoying myself
is relaxing, not mental gymnastics.  Things are already complicated
enough without inventing pastimes with complex rules.  ;-)

Tetris is about my limit.  And yes, I did find out about the on-line
games you can play in Linux (forgotten the name of it now, though).  I
had quite a bit of fun with it shortly after installing the old Red Hat
8.0 Linux, playing against a friend and a couple of strangers.

I read messages from the public lists.