Wire tripped

Bill Perkins perk at iag.net
Thu Oct 6 04:43:29 UTC 2005

Scot L. Harris wrote:
> On Wed, 2005-10-05 at 17:35, Bill Perkins wrote:
>
>>After downloading and installing gnome-pkgview and gnome-common (which
>>pkgview needed) tripwire started complaining about a whole bunch of
>>files that had suddenly changed checksums, and in many cases, the sizes
>>of the files as well, including tripwire itself. Did I just get zapped
>>by something nasty, or does tripwire sometimes get a little confused?
>

> Where the files all part of gnome-common?  Did you update tripwire after
> you upgraded gnome-common? When did tripwire report a violation?

No, very few of them were part of gnome-common

> Three possibilities.  One, tripwire ran at it's usual time and reported
> the changed files which you upgraded.

It did, with a whole bunch more.

> Two, if you updated tripwire after doing the upgraded prelink probably
> ran later than night and modified the updated files you installed via
> gnome-common.  Tripwire then reported the differences.

Haven't upgraded tripwire since installing it. Looks like the tripwire
rpm gets compromised as well, through yum (yum erase tripwire; yum
install tripwire yields a different tripwire md5 each time. Very
strange, different from the one on backup.)

> Third, if neither one or two are possibilities then you need to look at
> the particular files being reported.  You might have been hacked.

There is a ton of files, most of which have nothing to do with
gnome-common or gnome-pkgview, both of which were installed just prior
to this. I also added the livna repo (per instructions from some yum
FAQ) just prior to this.

"The two most common things in the	| Bill Perkins
  universe are Hydrogen and Stupidity."	| perk at iag.net
					| programmer-at-large
		F. Zappa		| ALL assembly languages done here.