wma help

Robin Laing Robin.Laing at drdc-rddc.gc.ca
Thu Oct 6 16:01:47 UTC 2005

Josh Coffman wrote:

> --- Andy Green <andy at warmcat.com> wrote:
>

>>Josh Coffman wrote:
>>

>>>I could really use some help converting WMA files

>>>another format. I bought some songs from
>>
>>walmart.com,
>>
>>>but they are WMA's. I just want to make an audio
>>
>>cd
>>
>>>for my wife.
>>
>>Can you play the WMAs in mplayer, or are they DRM'd
>>up the wazoo?  If
>>you can play them in mplayer, you can use -ao pcm to
>>get the output
>>spooled into ./audiodump.wav, and that will go into
>>k3b to create the CD.
>>
>>If they are DRM'd... I guess that's a sign from
>>$DEITY not to give
>>walmart your money and encourage this nonsense.
>>
>>-Andy
>>
>>>--
>

> Got an audio cd burned. Stupid DRM stuff... I had to
> play the file in Windows Media Player, which then
> acquired the license and embedded the uniqueID license
> into the WMA so media player would play it. I then
> used Roxio to burn the audio cd.
>
> Annoying. Hopefully I can either convert them now to
> ogg or rip from the audio cd.

[rant]
Take a lesson from this and watch what you purchase.  DRM'd media is a
pain and it will get worse if people keep paying for it.
[/rant]

If I am about to try a new download site, I will get one file and see
if it works without a hassle.  If it does, then I will get others.  If
not, then an email to support to delete account info and confirmation
that it has been deleted.

Of course most music I get via newsgroups or eMule.  If I like it I
will purchase the DRM free CD if possible and then rip a decent copy
of the song(s).
--
Robin Laing