Defrag.

AragonX aragonx at dcsnow.com
Thu Oct 6 23:02:10 UTC 2005

<quote who="Dave Mitchell">
> Linux *does* have fragmentation, just not generally enough to be a
> problem. There are many other mechanisms going on (like dividing the disk
> into cylinder groups) that operate to keep fragmentation manageable.
>
> (Again with the proviso that I'm most familiar with UFS).

It still seems to me that over a year of standard desktop usage, you would
come up with a good amount of fragmentation.  I know this is not true for
a server though.  I had a Redhat 8 machine that ran for over a year
without a reboot.  When I did reboot it, it had about 5% fragmentation.
That's not bad for over a years worth of usage.