Help with installing fedora

Edward Dekkers edward at tripled.iinet.net.au
Fri Oct 7 10:45:44 UTC 2005

James Van Dooren wrote:
> I have an IBM laptop that is running win2000. I have a 30gig harddrive
> loaded with Dynamic Disk Overlay to correct the problem of the large
> disk size with the older laptop. I want to install fedora or some other
> linux flavor on laptop but am having problem with MBR. Can anyone
> suggest a workaround. Any help will be greatly appreciated.

You do not describe the problem you are having with the MBR, but may I
suggest you use the DDO install disk to do the installation. If you do
not allow DDO to load before starting the Linux installation, you will
more than likely screw up your Windows 2000.

In general you will have problems shrinking the partition anyway, as
most partition software is not DDO aware and will work on the hard disk
level.

In short, I do not think what you are doing is a good idea. I'm sure
Windows 2000 can handle 30Gb disks so it sounds to me it's the notebook
BIOS that doesn't allow >30Gb, not Windows 2000. I'm not sure Linux will
bypass the BIOS in this case.

I don't know of anyone running DDO with Linux. I'm not sure it works.

Regards,
Ed.