FC4 (Gnome vs KDE) app loading

Jorge Fábregas fabregasj at prtc.net
Fri Oct 7 22:29:08 UTC 2005

Hello everyone,

I'm just back on the list (was out for a while). I just switched from FC2 to
FC4 and I am almost 95% done except for one performance issue.

I use KDE and I'm having an issue with loading applications. I mentioned KDE
because (after a couple of intalls, tweaking configurations etc) I just
realized that it only happens in KDE.

For example, when I double-click Firefox it takes 24 seconds to load.  OOo
Calc takes about 40 seconds. If I reboot my laptop and then log into
GNOME ...firefox only takes 4 seconds to load. Calc takes about 7 seconds.

This is a very descent laptop (1.6 Ghz, 512 RAM). It's Latitude C840.

I tried disabling ARTS from KDE and it still doesn't work.  I'm really trying
to find out what's happening on KDE that it takes so much for the
applications to load (first time).

I searched on bugzilla and on the various list archives but so far nothing. I
looked at threads mentioning haldaemon, cpuspeed etc...I tried all of them
but nothing works.

Anyone have any idea? :(

Thanks in advance,
Jorge