Sound card(intel D915GVWB) not detected in Fedora Core 3

Manilal K M manilalkm at gmail.com
Sat Oct 8 09:03:12 UTC 2005

Hello all,
I have just installed fedora core 3 on my Desktop PC with Intel's
original motherboard(Intel D915GVWB). During the firstboot the sound
configuration windows didn't appear. After booting I gave the command
"system-config-soundcard". it says that "No sound devices are found".
After that I tried to upgrade the kernel and alsa package. I have
upgarded the kernel to kernel-2.6.12-1.1378_FC3 and installed the
following packages from atrpms.net:
alsa-driver-1.0.9rfb-40.rhfc3.at
alsa-utils-1.0.9rfa-16.rhfc3.at
alsa-lib-1.0.9rf-21.rhfc3.at
alsa-kmdl-2.6.12-1.1378_FC3-1.0.9rfb-40.rhfc3.at
libasound2-1.0.9rf-21.rhfc3.at

After that I rebooted the kernel and checked with speaker-test. it
gives the following output :
[root at gamma ~]# speaker-test

speaker-test 0.0.8

Playback device is plughw:0,0
Stream parameters are 48000Hz, S16_LE, 1 channels
Using 16 octaves of pink noise
Playback open error: -2,No such file or directory
Playback open error: -2,No such file or directory
Playback open error: -2,No such file or directory

After this when I tried alsaconf it says "No legacy drivers found".
can anyone help me to fix this problem. Any help would be welcomed.
Thanks in Advance
regards
Manilal