monitor mic access in FC3?

Tim ignored_mailbox at yahoo.com.au
Sat Oct 8 08:15:16 UTC 2005

On Fri, 2005-10-07 at 12:45 -0700, Dave Stevens wrote:
> I have FC3 and a 17" Proview 770 CRT monitor. The Monitor has a little
> speaker and microphone that I've never used, but which would be dead
> handy for voice chat. Can anyone refer me to more info on how to make
> this happen?

That sort of thing usually involves plugging a couple of fly leads
between the monitor and the mic and spkr sockets on your sound card.
Then you use it just the same as if you'd plugged independent microphone
and speakers into your sound card.

Sometimes it might involve a special video/audio lead at the back of the
monitor that splits into separate video and audio connections at the
computer end.

Not sure that I'm keen on mics in monitors (they're usually not in a
brilliant position), but I sure wish more manufacturers would embed
speakers into the monitor cabinet.  It's a pain having to have all these
boxes on the desk, and plugged into the wall, when all you want to be
able to hear is a few beeps to alert you about things while you're using
your PC.

I read messages from the public lists.