gnome-panel error message won't go away

Bill Perkins perk at iag.net
Sat Oct 8 13:28:23 UTC 2005

Laurence wrote:
> Hi All
>
> I have a problem with gnome-panel, I get an error message box displayed
> that says "I've detected a panel already running, and will now exit".
> If I click "OK" in this box it goes away, but immediatly reappears.
> I have tried restarting X and even rebooting the machine, but each time
> this box comes back. I have the panel running ok, but get this box in
> addition. In my attempts to clear this problem I have now ended up with
> 3 of these error message boxes all of which I can't get rid of!!
>

> HELPPPP!!!
>

> Laurence

I would switch to a console (Ctrl-Alt-F1), login as root, and type in
ps -ax | grep gnome-panel
and see how many copies of gnome-panel are running (do this before
logging in to X). If there is more than one copy running, somebody may
have been monkeying around with the startup files in /etc (/etc/rc.*) or
possibly in /etc/inittab.

"The two most common things in the	| Bill Perkins
  universe are Hydrogen and Stupidity."	| perk at iag.net
					| programmer-at-large
		F. Zappa		| ALL assembly languages done here.