cannot connect to X server

akonstam at trinity.edu akonstam at trinity.edu
Sat Oct 8 21:10:22 UTC 2005

On Sat, Oct 08, 2005 at 01:40:12PM -0700, Ivan Chu wrote:
> Hi there,
>
>  here is the thing, I just put FC4 on my machine
> (custom installation, basically I did not install
> anything related to development, no web server, not
> ftp, only SSH and mail server) Installation went
> smooth, and everything is working great exept the X
> windows.
>
> Problem is the following: if I open a new konsole
> window and try to start any graphical application lets
> say
>
> >thunderbird &
>
> it starts ok,
> but if I do ssh to my own machine from the konsole
> window opened, I can login OK, but I can not run
> graphical applications from that session.
>
> some time (with differenr applications) I got message
> "cannot connect to X server"
> sometimes program simple does not start.
> [1]+  Exit 1                  thunderbird
>
> What am I missing in configuration? Any ideas?
>
> thank you

There is two things you need to do;
1. On the machine you are ssh-ing to edit /etc/ssh/sshd_conf to set:
X11Forwarding yes
2. In file /etc/ssh/ssh_config on the local machine set:
ForwardX11 yes  and  ForwardX11Trusted yes

You might also look at the -X  and -Y options on ssh.
Although you don't need them if you change the files.
Aaron Konstam
Computer Science
Trinity University
telephone: (210)-999-7484