can I make a reset-at-will box?

Tim ignored_mailbox at yahoo.com.au
Sun Oct 9 12:32:41 UTC 2005

On Sun, 2005-10-09 at 13:23 +0200, Gilboa Davara wrote:
> You can configure Ctrl-Alt-Del to shutdown the machine by editing the
> ca::ctrlaltdel entry within the inittab file.
> As far as I know, that same be done with the power-off button.
>
> However, AFAIK, the reset button resets the power and cannot be
> controlled by software.

I was thinking more about the system surviving a reset, then how I did
it.  I have, earlier today, managed to get my box to let me turn it off
with the power button (using acpi=force as a kernel parameter).  So that
simplifies things, on that box, to some degree, as long as I haven't
created a new problem.

But the ability to turn a system off NOW, not try and turn it off and
wait two or three minutes to see if it manages to turn off, is still a
priority.

I read messages from the public lists.