Adding MP3 Support to AmaroK

Steven Pasternak stevenp500 at bellsouth.net
Sun Oct 9 17:05:54 UTC 2005

Hi! I have been using rhythmbox to listen to my music files for a while.
I recently decided to try amarok to see what all the hype was about. I
added mp3 support to gstreamer by copying the .so file from my SuSE 9.3
insallation to the gstreamer plugins directory ( I don't know what the
developers say about this, but it worked ;-) ). AmaroK says that it is
using the gstreamer backend, but it won't play MP3's. I have mad
installed, and from experience with SuSE 9.3, I know that kdemultimedia
and libtunepimp have to have mp3 support built in. I don't want to have
to compile kdemultimedia 3.4.2 if I don't have to, because it is a pain.
Should I just recompile libtunepimp, or do I need to compile both? Thanks!
-Steven