Yum - Up2Date - Unresolvable errors..

Rahul Sundaram sundaram at redhat.com
Wed Oct 12 17:57:25 UTC 2005

Randall J. Berry wrote:

>Is there any way to resolve these seemingly unresolvable errors?
>
>--> Processing Conflict: initscripts conflicts kernel < 2.6.12
>--> Processing Conflict: kudzu conflicts kernel < 2.6.13
>
>These errors appear using only the default Fedora repos no third party
>or devel repos have been added. The last Yum update was also run using
> only the default Fedora repos. These two conflicts halt the entire
>upgrade every time and I cannot seem find a way to work around them. I
>use the current 2.6.13 kernel is it safe to remove the other two?
>(2.6.11 - 2.6.12) that will resolve at least one conflict. But what
>about Kudzu? Seems like more than half the system depends on that so I
>cannot remove it. And if I try to roll back to the 2.6.11 kernel I get
>errors with other updated packages that depend on the newer kernel.
>Again, all updates have been made from the default Fedora repos no
>devel or 3rd party repos have been added.

The new kudzu depends on the latest kernel. You need to remove the
previous kernels after you boot into the latest one and verify that it
works and yus that has been a pain for users in the development version
too and it was discussed in fedora-test list

>Why can't Fedora be what RedHat 'was' a reasonably priced Operating
>System that just works PERIOD.

More community participation in the QA process and general testing
helps.  More users could test the updates-testing repository and file
bugs. Fedora bug squad team would appreciate more contributors too

http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/HelpWanted

In general, we want things to just work but to get there we need more
people involved in the effort of making it work in the first place.  I
would encourage you to contribute.

regards
Rahul