Sharing files (ext. drive) with Windows from FC4

Arthur Pemberton pemboa at gmail.com
Wed Oct 12 19:51:51 UTC 2005

On 10/12/05, Tim <ignored_mailbox at yahoo.com.au> wrote:

> On Wed, 2005-10-12 at 11:39 -0500, Arthur Pemberton wrote:
> > Not really, I was more concerned about passwords. For some reason, I
> > assume them to be transimitted as clear text, correct me if I am
> > wrong. More importantly, how safe is samba on an untrusted LAN?
>
> They're only transmitted that way if you want them to be. Samba is
> under your control.

Ok fair enough. Can I do Samba without a workgroup etc? (I have used samba,
but only in the more general workgroup/domain/lan form)

Define untrusted... Family with no technical knowledge, LAN with a
> person you expect to cause you problems, LAN with people you don't know
> on it, etc.

University network, publick IPs, Cisco routers between LAN and the "real
world" and no network administrative privileges.

You can share things as read-only over Samba if you want to, and there's