Strategy for /tmp and /home Partitioning

Kenneth Porter shiva at sewingwitch.com
Wed Oct 12 22:55:07 UTC 2005

--On Wednesday, October 12, 2005 8:33 AM -0500 leam <leam at reuel.net> wrote:

> If you're in a link, some will see the linked
> directory, some will see the linked to directory.
>
> So if you made a link of /tmp to /home/tmp, some programs might see you
> in /tmp, some in  /home/tmp which is often not what you want.  :)
> loopbacks avoid this.

Aha! Thanks, I couldn't remember why symlinks were sometimes the Wrong
Solution. It can be tricky traversing rootwards (ie. "..") through a
symlink, as some things follow the linked-from path and some follow the
linked-to path. Not a good thing for such an important system directory.
Mount points are unambiguous.