Strategy for /tmp and /home Partitioning

Mike McCarty mike.mccarty at sbcglobal.net
Thu Oct 13 14:31:29 UTC 2005

Marcin Struzak wrote:
> [...snip...]
>
>> Well, you have a passion for partitions that I do not have.
>> Partitions have existence due to two things
>> (1) limited addressing ability in the BIOS
>> (2) desire to run multiple OS on the same disc
>

> Not true, partitions' foremost reson to exist is the necessity to

Sorry, I was speaking of how they came to be historically, not
what other uses people have found for them.

> separate parts of the filesystem that grow at different rates and that
> are of different criticality to the system; on a server /var is separate
> from /, so that if your print spool queue goes bananas and fills up the
> entire disk-space (in its partition), it does not affect the rest of the
> system. You can set-up user quotas to limit the growth of /home, but on
> a large network with many users /home would certainly be mounted
> separately from a volume manager that can be grown on-the-fly.

IMO, given the price of discs these days, that is better handled by
separate discs, rather than partitions.

> I thought you did say before, that you don't want the CD images from
> /tmp to use up space in /.  That's why you are moving it off to a
> different partition.

Erm, no. I'm not moving to a "different partition". I'm moving to a
different disc. Not the same thing. If it weren't for the current
load of software in existence which *insists* on having a partition,
on a disc, even if it's all one big giant piece, and not really
being split up, I wouldn't need a partition on the new disc. That is
an historical anomaly.

> Not because of limited BIOS addressability, which,
> btw, is only important for /boot (and that's also why /boot is usually
> in its own partition); the kernel's addressing capability is totally
> independent.

Umm, I *did* mention that (1) above is pretty much only of historical
interest.

Mike
You have found the bank of Larn.