system lock up

Anil Kumar Sharma xplusaks at gmail.com
Fri Oct 14 06:15:50 UTC 2005

Try running your system with Knoppix or with WinXP (via a separate hard
drive) and do a systematic elimination of faulty hardware which may be a as
simple as mouse/keyboard/external HDD . Since the problem has a random
repeatable nature it may be time consuming. Therefore least expensive
options may be tried first. First I will check memtest as much as can be
afforded / tolerated but not more than overnight. Second I will double check
external HDD then mouse/keyboard. After that (it can be a week) try other
expensive items. It can be as complex as CPU/mobo if ur solution is not
simple.
I hope U post the solution in detail when U arrive at by any means.
Wish U Good luck.

 On 10/13/05, Tim <ignored_mailbox at yahoo.com.au> wrote:

> On Wed, 2005-10-12 at 14:53 -0600, Robin Laing wrote:
> > Do the Math to Get Your PC All the Power It Needs
> > http://www.pcworld.com/howto/article/0,aid,119585,pg,2,00.asp
>
> Hmm, and mine does so well with its 90 Watt supply whereas their list
> suggests I need around 210 Watts... I find the power needs of some
> computer parts to be a bit over-the-top, likewise with the amount of
> heat some things generate and don't adequately dissipate. Design
> doesn't appear to be too fantastic in a lot of cases (whoever decided
> that PCI cards should be upside down with the hottest parts underneath
> ought to be flogged).
>
> It really would help if manufacturers put their power requirements on
> their parts.
>
> --
>
> --

Anil Kumar Shrama