Cut & Paste between apps

Tony Nelson tonynelson at georgeanelson.com
Sat Oct 15 00:17:35 UTC 2005

At 5:06 PM -0700 10/13/05, Todd Simi wrote:
>Hi,
>
>I've not been able to cut and paste between Firefox and Evolution.  They
>seem to have their own "clipboards".  Am I missing something, or is it
>just the way it is?

The X clipboard is quite different from, say, MacOS or MSWindows, no matter
what "style" of copy'n'paste you use.  For all apps you need to keep the
source app open, and for most apps you need to keep the original selection
in order for copy'n'paste to work.  (OK, there are various patches that
work around this.)

Did you copy from Evo, close Evo, and then try to paste?  (Or from Firefox,
close Firefox, then try to paste?)  That won't work, you have to leave Evo
(Firefox) open.