fstab-sync wipes out /etc/fstab

Dan ml at mutox.org
Sat Oct 15 05:11:26 UTC 2005

On Sat, October 15, 2005 12:37 pm, Bill Perkins wrote:

> In the mean time, you could try booting into rescue mode (saw something
> about that a few days ago on this list) using either the ISO image from the
> Fedora website, or you can get there with the first disk of the
> distro's set. If you can get that far, write down the /etc/fstab file that
> is (hopefully) generated when booting into rescue mode (I haven't tried
> this as yet, although I may give it a shot just to see what we wind up
> with). If that doesn't work, I'd try running fdisk -l to get a list of the
> disks and partitions, and work from memory and poking around (mount the
> partitions one at a time and examine them) to build a new fstab. FWIW,
> here is what mine looks like:

Hey Bill,

I did boot into rescue mode again and managed to reconstruct my
/etc/fstab. After a few reboot attempts i think i have managed to rebuild
fstab to its former glory.

Posting this from the formerly unbootable machine.

BTW i do actually take regular backups of /etc, just not this machine. I
guess that will change now :)

I wonder if it would be feasable to have fstab-sync take a backup of
/etc/fstab, or perform some sanity tests (ie there is a /, /proc, /sys
etc) before making changes? Any thoughts/comments?

Cheers,

Dan