can't set 60hz v refresh rate

Jeff Vian jvian10 at charter.net
Sat Oct 15 21:56:13 UTC 2005

On Sat, 2005-10-15 at 13:31 -0400, sean wrote:
> Jiann-Ming Su wrote:
> > On 10/14/05, sean <seandarcy2 at gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> >>I hand edited xorg.conf so that the monitor section has
> >>
> >>VertRefresh   60
> >>

> > Set both VertRefresh and HorizSync to match your monitor's spec.  For example:
> >
> >   Section "Monitor"
> >           Identifier      "Monitor1"
> >           VendorName      "Dell"
> >           ModelName       "1704FPVt"
> >           HorizSync       30-81
> >           VertRefresh     56-76
> >           Option          "DPMS"
> >   EndSection
> >
> > X will figure out what the refresh rate should be.
> >

> Yes. That's the problem. It's choosing 75hz, while i want
> 60. And yes, of course, I have the horizsync set. In any
> event, in your conf it doesn't matter because dpms is set.
>
> X is choosing the *wrong* refresh rate. How do I specify it?

change the VertRefresh above to something like
           VertRefresh     56.0 - 60.0
or if you want it to be only 60 then
           VertRefresh     60.0 - 60.0
will work.

This is what I had to do when mine tried to use the default settings but
would never allow use of the maximum resolution for the monitor unless
it was at 60.0.  My default was also the 56.0 - 75.0 range.