Problem when shutting down

Jeff Vian jvian10 at charter.net
Mon Oct 17 01:54:22 UTC 2005

On Sun, 2005-10-16 at 09:35 -0700, Ian MacGregor wrote:
> When I shutdown my computer, the system hangs while trying to set the
> hardware clock. This requires me to manually reset the power switch and,
> upon reboot, the time and date are wrong. I have set the correct date
> and time n the computer BOIS, so FC4 does not need to do this. How do I
> stop FC4 from setting the hardware clock to the OS time when shutting
> down or rebooting? I am thinking that this would solve the hanging
> problem upon shutdown/reboot.
>
> Ian M.

This may be a problem, but the HW clock needs set with shutdown because
it almost never is exactly accurate when the system has been running for
a while.  In general, the time for the OS is set from the HW clock at
boot time, and the time for the HW is set from the OS at shutdown.  An
actual hang here can imply a problem, but definitely says that the OS
and BIOS are not playing nice.  Do you perchance have the BIOS set to
not allow it to be changed as some virus protection schemes do?  If the
OS cannot write to the bios it presumable could cause a hang.

The other real question otherwise is "Does it actually hang - forever -
during shutdown?  or does it just take a long time and you get impatient
and power off without having it complete?"  If the latter, try waiting
for a while to see if it will finish.  If the former then it may
actually be a problem and may warrant looking at the bios virus
protection scheme as a start point.

You say the date and time are wrong when you start up.  That implies the
date and time are incorrect in BIOS or that you have the timezone set
wrong, so the date & time are actually correct but for a different time
zone.  It may also be that you told the system the bios is set to UCT
when it is in fact set to local time, which would change the time in the
OS at startup.

HTH
Jeff