amd64 bit chips

Kenneth Porter shiva at sewingwitch.com
Tue Oct 18 01:49:47 UTC 2005

--On Monday, October 17, 2005 8:21 PM -0400 Ed Hill <ed at eh3.com> wrote:

> Did you know that, when developing user-space applications, there is
> almost *never* a need to reboot to use the i386 and x86_64 versions of
> FC-4?

Thanks! I just *knew* there must be an easier way!

Do you happen to know of any CPU-detection resources for 64-bit? I'm doing
some game development and there's a piece of assembler that determines what
CPU features are available, and I need to port that to AMD64.

The other piece of code I need to port is serialization logic that turns
pointers into 32-bit unsigned tags, and stores the tag back into the
pointer before streaming to disk or network. I'll probably have to create
dual class stacks to hold the on-media 32-bit-compatible form and the
in-memory version with 64-bit pointers.