installing ant, no alternatives

Alexander Dalloz ad+lists at uni-x.org
Tue Oct 18 18:52:43 UTC 2005

Am Di, den 18.10.2005 schrieb Michael Hennebry um 19:41:

> > Where does JPackage.org packages break things? As far as I see you
>
> My apologies if English is not your native language.
> In English, something can be broken
> even if it has not been split into pieces.
> What matters is that it has gone from
> a working state to a nonworking state.
> In this case, the java command used to run java byte code.
> Since my struggle with jpackage, it just prints an error message.

"it"? I am willing to help if you are specific about what happens (exact
commands run and error messages).

> > didn't install Sun's j2re from the skeleton src.rpm. Please do that. If
> > you don't install an alternate to the libgcj with its placeholder you
> > can complain as much as you want but won't come further.
> > Please follow the howto
> >
> > http://fedoranews.org/mediawiki/index.php/JPackage_Java_for_FC4
> >
> > and switch to the freshly installed j2re using the alternatives command
> > / mechanism. If you installed ant cleanly from JPackage.org repository
> > you should have no problem then to use it.
>
> Apparently, despite the lack of error messages,
> I didn't get a clean install.

So what happened when you did what?

> How sure are you that the FC4 instructions will work FC3?

The JPackage.org skeleton is not Fedora release specific. Though you may
not follow the howto like a slave.

> What does sudo yum localinstall *.rpm  do?
> The man page on yum doesn't mention localinstall.

"yum localinstall" installs the RPMs given with that command and will
auto-resolve dependencies and fetch additional needed RPMs if they are
provided by the configured repositories.

> Before trying again, should I uninstall ant stuff?

How did you install it? If you installed ant using yum with JPackage.org
configured, then I see no need to uninstall ant.

> Should I remove additions I made to /etc/yum.repos.d ?

That is kind of a question where I can hardly say yes or no. Feel free
to post your yum repo setup.

> Mike   hennebry at web.cs.ndsu.NoDak.edu

Alexander

Serendipity 20:33:38 up 2:07, 16 users, 1.38, 1.21, 1.14