Monitor pwrs off (after recent fc3 update?)

Gene Smith gds at chartertn.net
Wed Oct 19 04:30:51 UTC 2005

Andy Pieters wrote, On 10/17/2005 07:14 AM:
> Hi
>
> Might I recommend a higher prescription of glasses?

Probably right! Found it after I posted this.

> Seriously, open KDE Control pannel (you can do this by running the command
> kcontrol) then choose the category Peripherals (choose on the left hand side
> of the window, under the tab "Index" are different icons with a + next to
> them.  Press the + next to the entry marked Peripherals (the icon resembles a
> monitor connector cable)
>
> This will open a list with new icons right underneath it.  One of those Icons
> is Display (it looks like a black screen).  Click that icon.
>
> Now something happens on the right hand side of the window and you will see
> new tabs apearing there.  The one you are looking for is marked "Power
> Control".  Press that tab.
>
> There you will find a checkbox where you can turn on or off the power
> management options of the monitor.  To disable power management click the box
> "Enable display power management" until it does not show an x

This is what I don't understand. When I got to this page it seemed that
the power mgt was *already* disabled since the box had no x and all the
sliders were gray. However, they were all not all the way to the left
and showed suspend and power-off times (but grayed out). I had to click
the checkbox and then move the sliders to the left so they all said
"disabled" and then unchecked the box to gray it all out again. Then the
automatic power off stopped.

I think maybe the checkbox is mislabled and should say "Enable setting
display power management." ??

> Or you can click that box until an x appears and then use the slider labeled
> "Power off after"  Slide it to the left to make it power off faster, or slide
> it to the right to make it poweroff slower.
>
> Alternativly if you think you can manage the concept, you can use the text box
> on the right side of that slider to manually enter the timeout value.

Yes, it is a difficult concept, but thanks for pointing it out! ;-)