panic after rsync

Tim ignored_mailbox at yahoo.com.au
Tue Oct 18 14:23:14 UTC 2005

On Mon, 2005-10-17 at 19:53 -0500, dsavage at peaknet.net wrote:
> Strictly speaking, /dev isn't a mounted filesystem but I suppose it's
> possible that some of its entries might not be precisely the same on a
> LVM disk as a plain partitions disk. Is there a preferred way to
> regenerate the /dev directory from scratch using MAKEDEV when booted
> to the Rescue CD?

I just copied one HDD to another today, using the cp command with
appropriate parameters on most of the directories.  If I recall what I
did correctly, I didn't copy /dev/ I just made an empty /dev directory
on the new drive, and let the system fill it on the next boot.

I was of the understanding that, now, /dev/ is dynamically generated
each boot.

I read messages from the public lists.