Thunderbird Date Format

Robin Laing Robin.Laing at drdc-rddc.gc.ca
Wed Oct 19 14:44:09 UTC 2005

Dotan Cohen wrote:
> On 10/17/05, Robin Laing <Robin.Laing at drdc-rddc.gc.ca> wrote:
>
>>This comment doesn't just fit for Thunderbird but for Linux in general.
>>
>>I prefer ISO date format under US or Canadian English as a system wide
>>default.  It would be nice to do this without having to jump through a
>>bunch of hoops to achieve it.
>>
>>It would be nice to have a choice in data/time setting or language
>>settings similar to what is in (yech) Windows.  Something that would
>>allow setting the date format and choosing the time display format.
>>
>>I tried mucking around in the date format settings but didn't get any
>>success.
>>

>>Robin Laing
>>

> I don't think that would be linux-specific, rather KDE (or Gnome)
> specific. Linux handles dates only as unix timestamps, no?
>
> Dotan
> http://technology-sleuth.com/index.php

I want the CLI date command to display the result in ISO format.  This
is before Gnome or KDE.  Thus system wide changes.

If I type in date, I get this.

Wed Oct 19 08:30:31 MDT 2005

I would be happy with "Wed 2005-Oct-19 08:30:31 MDT" or any format
with a Y-M-D format.

You are correct that it is only a time stamp but it is in the language
on how it is displayed.  I have played with the locale settings in the
past with no success.

It would be nice if there was a simple point and click or command line
to change the format of just the date, or whatever.  Some program that
allows easy changing of LC_TIME.  I would like to stick with en_US.utf8.

I will have to find some time and look into it again as I was still
using RH8 the last time I looked.

--
Robin Laing