Wireless Cards

Gordon Messmer yinyang at eburg.com
Wed Oct 19 19:07:21 UTC 2005

Ed Landaveri wrote:
> Please, is anyone using a well known wireless adapter whose chip is
> listed on /lib/modules/`uname -r`/kernel/drivers/net/wireless?

Start here:
http://www.tldp.org/HOWTO/Hardware-HOWTO/pcmcia.html

Search for "Wireless network adapters".  It's not quite halfway down the
page.  Those listed under "orinoco_cs" should be a good bet.  If you
can't find them new, try eBay.

I'll also point out that Ralink has released the drivers for their
chipsets (PCMCIA and USB) under the GPL.  A list of devices using those
chipsets is available here:
http://ralink.rapla.net/

There's also a SF project aimed at integrating support for the Ralink
chipsets into a single driver:
http://rt2x00.serialmonkey.com/wiki/index.php/Main_Page

Today, you need to recompile the driver, but I'd imagine that it'll be
included in the kernel proper before too long.  I bought two Belkin
F5D5070 adapters last night to use in an older iBook (under Mac OS X),
and wrote letters to both Belkin and Best Buy to tell them that the
availability of GPL drivers was a deciding factor in my purchase.