Backup Email Server [OT]

Gordon Messmer yinyang at eburg.com
Wed Oct 19 19:11:50 UTC 2005

Andy Pieters wrote:

> We host our own mailserver and are looking for a free online service that will
> accept to store and forward while our mailserver is down or on overload.

I recommend against it.  Unless you find a provider willing to set up a
virtual domain, and allow you to update it with a database of your
users, backup MX servers generate a TON of backscatter these days.
They're not worth putting up, at all.  If your server is down or on
overload, remote servers will queue and resend messages for a fairly
long period.  In most situations it's better to rely on that than set up
a backup MX.