FC4 internet connection

captnemotx at netscape.net captnemotx at netscape.net
Thu Oct 20 02:30:26 UTC 2005

-----Original Message-----
From: gb spam <gbofspam at gmail.com>
To: For users of Fedora Core releases <fedora-list at redhat.com>
Sent: Wed, 19 Oct 2005 19:18:01 -0400
Subject: Re: FC4 internet connection

this file (/etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-eth0) is severely
screwed up.  it contains mixtures of static ip (IPADDR is defined) and
dhcp (BOOTPROTO=dhcp) config.  Stop the network (service network
stop).  Take a backup of that file (but DON'T put it in the same
directory, it may confuse the system into thinking it has another
device, try copying to /root) then change the contents to the
following:

DEVICE=eth0
BOOTPROTO=dhcp
HWADDR=00:0D:88:25:FE:FD
ONBOOT=yes
TYPE=Ethernet
USERCTL=no
PEERDNS=no
IPV6INIT=no

then restart your network

Thanks, that did the trick; it is working now.  I have a static address
assigned to me by my provider.  I have run Web and e-mail servers for
the past few years.  I used to use a RedHat box but went to FreeBSD
last year.  This machine that I'm working on used to be the server but
is now a "workstation".  The server has two NICs and is used as a
router for an internal home network but when it went down recently I
went back to using the Linux box through a D-Link router and just used
the GUI to tell it to use DHCP instead of the static network address;
hence the mixture of static and DHCP configs.  I've been meddling with
Linux since RH 6.0 so I should know not to mix GUI with command line
configs . . . but I don't do this on a regular enough basis to remember
everything.

Thanks for the help.  I'll submit a separate message for the other
issue I'm experiencing.

Kevin
Look What The New Netscape.com Can Do!
Now you can preview dozens of stories and have the ones you select
delivered to you without ever leaving the Top Home Page. And the new
Tool Box gives you one click access to local Movie times, Maps, White
Pages and more.  See for yourself at
http://netcenter.netscape.com/netcenter/