panic after rsync

Tim ignored_mailbox at yahoo.com.au
Fri Oct 21 01:07:06 UTC 2005

Tim:

>> I just copied one HDD to another today, using the cp command with
>> appropriate parameters on most of the directories.

Les Mikesell:

> cp -a should be appropriate.  I usually use --one-file-system and
> do it explicitly for each filesystem I want.  This probably doesn't
> take the extended attributes for SELinux if you have that enabled.

I did things like the following, a few times over
(for /bin, /etc, /lib, /opt, /root, /sbin, /selinux, /srv):

  cp -R --preserve=all --parent /usr /mnt/newdrive/

And forgot all about symlinks until after I'd copied the first directory
that would have used some.  I didn't see any problems.  For instance,
the /etc/ directory still had things like the following in it when I
listed it:

  rc1.d -> rc.d/rc1.d

If I remember correctly, just did a mkdir for /dev & /proc, but I can't
remember about /sys.

Other things, such as /home, /tmp, /usr, & /var were copied, similar to
above, onto their own partitions.  (Obviously, I'd made directories for
them in the root to be mounted onto, too.)

>> If I recall what I did correctly, I didn't copy /dev/ I just made an
>> empty /dev directory on the new drive, and let the system fill it on
>> the next boot.
>>
>> I was of the understanding that, now, /dev/ is dynamically generated
>> each boot.

> 'mount' says that /dev/pts and /dev/shm are mount points but it
> doesn't mention /dev.

I can't recall exactly what I did, but I'm fairly sure that I didn't
copy over /dev.  As I said, I was under the impression it's dynamically
created each boot time, now.  Just going by what happens if I tried to
make a new device, or link between things, it's gone the next bootup.

All seemed to go well after the first boot off the new drive, except for
one very stupid fault:  I forgot to set the permissions for the /tmp
directory properly.  I left it as drwxrwxrwx when it should have been
drwrwxrwt.  That meant that only the root could log in graphically.

And another strange fault that involved a chrooted named sub-directory
ownership permissions issue.  I'm not quite sure how that one came
about, but might have had something to do with the /tmp directory as
well.

I read messages from the public lists.