How does one install kernel*.src.rpm ?

Kenneth Porter shiva at sewingwitch.com
Sun Oct 23 14:49:03 UTC 2005

--On Sunday, October 23, 2005 8:38 AM -0500 akonstam at trinity.edu wrote:

> You place the
> src.rpm in the directory /usr/src/redhat/SRPMS (this is not essential
> but makes things more organized). Then you process the file by
> running: rpm -ivh ...src.rpm

Not exactly. /usr/src/redhat/SRPMS is an *output* directory where an SRPM
is generated from a set of source tarballs, patches, and a spec file. You
can toss the original SRPM (.src.rpm) wherever is convenient. I like to put
mine in /usr/src/redhat/Downloads/<source>, eg.
/usr/src/redhat/Downloads/Fedora/4/updates, and then rebuild from there. If
you then run "rpmbuild -ba foo.src.rpm", the new repackaged foo.src.rpm
will be written to /usr/src/redhat/SRPMS.