How does one install kernel*.src.rpm ?

Kenneth Porter shiva at sewingwitch.com
Mon Oct 24 14:17:02 UTC 2005

--On Monday, October 24, 2005 8:08 AM -0500 akonstam at trinity.edu wrote:

> I  agree with that but why exactly do you want to procedd a source rpm
> to get a source rpm. Are  you assumeing a change in the spec file along
> the way.

It's more an issue of file management. Say I download the FC4 kernel SRPM.
I want to know where I got it from, so I put it in a directory that
identifies the source, eg. download/Fedora/4/updates. Files in SRPMS are
ones I created through rpmbuild, as opposed to ones I downloaded.

I grab source RPM's either because I want to rebuild them tuned to what I
have on my system (via the embedded invocation of configure in the spec
file) or because I want to customize the build by editing the spec file.
For instance, I might want a custom kernel with a different config or an
additional patch.

I also grab source RPM's to debug problems, by unpacking and "prep'ing"
(via "rpmbuild -bp") the sources and then grepping the sources for the
error message I'm getting. I can then inspect the program logic to see why
I'm getting that error message.