nvidia or ati ?

Michael Peters mpeters at mac.com
Tue Oct 25 15:21:30 UTC 2005

On Tuesday, October 25, 2005, at 06:45AM, tlc <tlc at artemide.us> wrote:

>On Tue, 2005-10-25 at 06:38 -0700, Michael Peters wrote:
>
>> I have to recommend against using the nvidia binary driver.
>> Sometimes it is good, sometimes it ain't so good.
>>
>> For example - I was experiencing a crash (segfault) in grep and slowness in balsa.
>> When using nv.ko (the open source driver) - grep did not segfault and balsa was fine.
>>
>are you certain nothing else changed? I have been using the nvidia
>driver since RH7 and have never heard of anything like that.

Yup - dmesg showed it was nvidia responsible for the grep segfault - it only happened under certain repeatable conditions (a grep of a directory that included device nodes, if I recall)

The balsa thing was weird. Startup was really slow with the nvidia binary driver, normal with nv.ko driver. I don't know what caused that effect.