nvidia or ati ?

Michael A. Peters mpeters at mac.com
Wed Oct 26 10:12:21 UTC 2005

On Tue, 2005-10-25 at 19:52 +0200, Thorsten Leemhuis wrote:
> Am Dienstag, den 25.10.2005, 18:33 +0200 schrieb Mogens Kjaer:
> > Igor Jagec wrote:
> > > I would advice you to get the nvidia-glx-1.0.7676-0.lvn.2.4.src.rpm
> > > package and recompile it when the new kernel package is released.
>
> > Yes, but this is not done automatically.
> >
> > So if the machine is rebooted after the new
> > kernel is installed, but before the nvidia driver
> > is recompiled, the machine starts up without
> > graphics.
>
> This should not happen -- the livna package should disable the nvidia
> driver and switch to nv when the kernel-module for the new kernel is
> missing. If not file a bug.
>
> BTW, livna is quite fast with updating modules these days -- most times
> they have them online 24 hours after a new kernel gets published.

Yes - what I do with the binary module I need (not video) - I disable
the kernel update in my /etc/yum.conf file via exclude=kernel

That way I can just yum update to my hearts content.

Every couple of weeks I just check for a new livna module - and if there
is one, I comment out the exclude line and then use yum install to
install the new livna module for what I need, and it pulls the new
kernel in as a dependency.