problems with new kernels from yum

James Pifer jep at obrien-pifer.com
Wed Oct 26 14:53:23 UTC 2005

On Wed, 2005-10-26 at 09:38 -0400, tlc wrote:

> On Wed, 2005-10-26 at 09:30 -0400, James Pifer wrote:
> > Neither scsi nor sata in my case. I'm running on a laptop.
> >
> ahhh ... by default the kernel line as the word quiet in it, take it out
> and see if anything comes up on the screen that is useful before it
> hangs ..

Okay, I ran without "quiet" and let it go. It never hangs, just runs
slower than slow....

The only error I saw was cdrom: open failed around the time is start
looking at the volumes.

Then starting at: INIT: version 2.85 booting it got really slow.

"Staring udev:" was on the screen from 10:18:30 to 10:23:10. Over four
and a half minutes!

Everything from there on continued to be slow but I saw no errors. Total
boot time was 16 minutes. Took another 10 minutes to shut down to be
able to restart to the older working kernel.

James