Large Ramdisk creation causes crashes

Andy Green andy at warmcat.com
Wed Oct 26 19:33:11 UTC 2005

Tech User wrote:

> ramdisk_size=524288

> perl -e 'print 1 x 600000000' > /mnt/r0

In the example given, you seem to be copying 600MB of '1's to the
mountpoint?  (I don't know Perl).  Maybe things would go differently if
you sent this to a file on the mountpoint... eg

dd if=/dev/zero of=/mnt/r0/testfile bs=1024 count=450000

> At some point the machine seems to just freeze and crash. It responds to
> ping but is unresponsive to ssh or other input and must be powercycled.
> I know there is enough free memory for this. It seems to happen when I
> fill just under half of the memory I should have allocated... Allocating
> less (< 40%) seems to work just fine.

Hm I would try a single 128 Ram drive and see if I could fill it up, if
the first idea didn't help.

-Andy