automatic mounting of mass storage devices: light shed on the problem in it's true form after experimentation, consultation and study

kwhiskers kwhiskers at gmail.com
Thu Oct 27 06:20:01 UTC 2005

On 26/10/05, kwhiskers <kwhiskers at gmail.com> wrote:

> Thanks to all who have tried to help. I hope to consolidate the thread
> here.
>
> I have partially solved the automounting of usb 'scsi' mass storage
> cameras, which is done by hal. No udev rules are necessary. No device
> definitions are required. It's all already there. fstab-sync takes care of
> creating mount points. /dev/sda and sda1 both appear when the camera is
> plugged in; the necessary kernel modules are automatically loaded.
> Furthermore, it all works...
>
> If one is using gnome: plug in the camera and the filesystem on the
> camera's memory chip will be automatically mounted to /media/usbdisk.
>
> The problem is how to get this to happen under kde. Under kde, one has to
> manually mount the camera. Isn't there a way to make this behave under kde
> the way it is supposed to?

Well, am I perhaps confusing what is meant by automount? I just read this
article: http://wiki.kde.org/tiki-index.php?page=DBUS

The author talks of double-clicking to mount on the removable storage icon
in the media:/ list. I guess that is what I did in Gnome. An icon appeared
on the desktop that I double-clicked and the file browser opened, showing me
the contents of the disk.

What I understand as automounting is the following: I open up the konqueror
and the files on the removable media will already be there, in line, just as
are all the other mounted partitions, right then and there, without any
clicking.

I suppose this is no longer worth pursuing, now that I have seen the
difference in the approaches... that they are not in fact different. It's
just that in KDE, the place one clicks is buried in the sidebar. I guess
it's easy enough to create a link...