FC4 does not work, "out of the box" for me; GUI/X11 fails

Andy Green andy at warmcat.com
Thu Oct 27 08:00:41 UTC 2005

Tim wrote:

> The whole Fedora approach of rushing out major changes to releases on a
> certain date for the sake of a schedule has proved itself to be a stupid
> idea.  I don't *need* to be rebuilding the entire OS on several PCs that

We should entertain the idea that this was not in fact decided in the
expectation of your personal needs... RHAT have said pretty clearly that
Fedora is for them a way to gain experience and feedback with newer
stuff so that integration of it into RHEL will go smoothly.  That's the
Fedora deal, and it explains how some really good guys at RHAT can spend
all day every day on it, to us, for free.

Having some kind of deadline, despite issues it can cause, in my
experience is beneficial in focusing minds and clarifying the mission as
it were.

Having said that, yeah, broken install action is pretty major.

> often, and I certainly don't want to.  I'm now looking at using
> something else, instead.  One of the BSDs is looking favourable to me.

Go for it, dude!  Or consider using a RHEL-u-like, eg, CentOS or
Whitebox, which have the RHEL release pattern.  Use what suits you best.

-Andy