FC4 does not work, 'out of the box' for me; GUI/X11 fails

Les Mikesell lesmikesell at gmail.com
Thu Oct 27 19:30:23 UTC 2005

On Thu, 2005-10-27 at 12:57, William Hooper wrote:
> > The above approach would at least get a fairly recent set
> > of files with current updates on their computers.
>
> At the expense of time and effort that would be better spent on making the
> next release better.

Which you trade off against fewer people using and testing because
of the inconvenience of having to download 800 megs of updates
after each install, or because long-fixed bugs in the release
kernel prevent installation at all.  If Ubuntu is easier and
faster to install, you will lose all the testers.

>  Also at the expense of using more bandwidth and
> storage space on the mirrors.

There's no need to store all of the intermediate rev's of the
iso images, and it would most likely result in less bandwidth
usage since the users would no longer have to download the
iso and then do another many hundred megs of update downloads
for each machine installed.

--
  Les Mikesell
     lesmikesell at gmail.com