best/favorite/easiest to use DVD player..

Fritz Whittington f.whittington at att.net
Thu Oct 27 20:53:37 UTC 2005

On or about 2005-10-27 10:46, Tim pulled out a trusty #2 pencil and
scribbled:

>Tim:
>

>>>I think this is the worst aspect of DVDs.
>>>
>>>When I play a music disc, I want to hear the music.  I put it in and
>>>press play, it plays the music.
>>>
>>>DVD players should work the same way:  Put it in, press play,
>>>the movie begins.  I've got a menu button on my player *should* I want
>>>to do something else (like sit through several minutes of animated
>>>menus, one after another, several copyright warnings in different
>>>languages, and three film company brag clips, etc).
>>>

>STYMA, ROBERT E (ROBERT):
>

>>I agree with the complaint about having to wade through advertisements
>>before you get to watch the movie.  Fortunately the "main menu" button
>>will usually help skip over these.
>>

>Unfortunately, I find it rarely does.  Just about everything forces you
>to watch what they want.  It's the minority that lets you do what you
>want.
>

>>Many DVD's also come with short documentaries about how the movie was
>>made which makes the menu a useful.
>>

>Yes, though that's what the menu button is for.  It lets me choose
>something else on the disc, when I opt to view the menu.  That ought to
>be an option, not something I'm forced to endure.
>
>Waiter:  Would you like to see the menu?
>Customer:  No, I'd like the steak.
>Waiter:  You must choose it from the menu.
>

>>Also scene selection helps since many DVD players do not let
>>you take the disk out, put it in later, and pick up where you left off.
>>(The old VCR technology did have some good points.)  Just my 2 cents worth.
>>

>Yes, that's annoying.  I've several players.  Two offer a resume
>features that rarely works (you end up in the wrong place, or back at
>the start).  Mine can't resume its place on one disc when you've played
>another one since.  And resume certainly can't work when you started
>watching a movie in the lounge then decided to watch the rest in bed.

So don't just complain, DO something about it!

1:  Making a backup copy of a $20 DVD onto a $0.50 DVD+R sounds like
fair use and a good idea, considering how easy it is to ruin a DVD.

2:  Free software like DVD Decrypter and DVD Shrink will allow you to
make your backup copy, and drop everything but the main movie and the
Scene Selection Menu.

3:  File your original safely away and use the backup.  Works for me.

--
Fritz Whittington -- TI Alum -- http://www.tialumni.org
"There is nobody so irritating as somebody with less intelligence and more sense than we have." --Don Herold