Monitoring file integrity with FC4 - Tripwire??

Ian mogplus8 at bigpond.net.au
Sat Oct 1 00:42:28 UTC 2005

I'd never heard of Tripwire before, but it sounds like the ultimate
virus defence to me. Can it stop programs from running if they have been
changed without Tripwire being told? Or do you just get told when a file
has been modified (via the cron job, by which time it's probably too late)?
The second thought that occurred to me was that, if a virus was trying
to modify system files, wouldn't it also attempt to update the Tripwire
database to match, so Tripwire wouldn't flag the change? Could that be
prevented? Does Tripwire monitor itself???
Ian